Re: Prelim. DAV spec.

From: Daniel W. Connolly <connolly@beach.w3.org>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 1996 17:48:47 -0400
To: Larry Masinter <masinter@parc.xerox.com>
cc: yarong@microsoft.com, ejw@rome.ics.uci.edu, w3c-dist-auth@w3.org
In message <96Oct31.115252pdt."415911"@mule.parc.xerox.com>, Larry Masinter wri
>> A representation (or entity -- same thing) is immutable, the way
>> integers and URLs are immutable. How many versions of the number
>> 2 or the string "http://www.w3.org/" are there?
>Well, a 'representation' isn't exactly the 'same thing' as an entity.
>We're working in an area where there aren't enough precise terms.
>It's very risky to try to make a 'plain logic' argument where we're
>primarily having difficulty with definitions of terms.

Fair enough. Let me make my context, or world-view clear. I've been
working on this issue of terminology for years, and in my world-view,
representation and entity mean exactly the same thing. I've written
down their defintion, plus a whole lot of other definitions, at:

The document isn't in a completely consistent state, but many
of the definitions there are relavent and could be useful.

Because the terms 'representation' and 'entity' are somewhat
overloaded and confused, I consider them synonyms of my preferred
term, 'digital artifact':

digital artifact
	some information represented as a sequence of octets (bytes) with
	an associated data format. aka document, entity, entity body,
	body part, representation

In contrast, consider:

       1.a collection of resources that form a unit of information
	 that can be visited. A
         document has an address. The document consists of the object
	 at that address, plus
         some other objects connected to that object.

         aka Node in hypertext research literature. Also known as a
	 frame (KMS), card (Hypercard, Notecards). Used with this
	 special meaning in hypertext circles: do not confuse with
	 "node" meaning "network host".
       2.The object type with methods GET, PUT, POST, and DELETE.
       3.see: digital artifact (c.f. HTML spec, SGML spec)
       4.see: resource

	an addressable unit of information or service in the
	Web. Examples include files, images,
	documents, programs, query results, etc.

     aka object.

By the way, as requested by Yaron, here's a definition for 'principal'.

     the source of some messages; for example: persons, computers, and
	programs. See: authentic

     An authentic message is one that has been received as the sending
	principal intended.
     Related failures include:
         Corruption -- machine malfunction
         Forgery -- intentional modification