Re: Request for Comment

In message <2.2.32.19961031185900.00370890@pop-server.wrc.xerox.com>, Judith Sl
ein writes:

>On the subject of containment, section 7 of the spec proposes to use
>SiteMaps as the new content type to represent containers.  I'd like to
>change the name of the mime type to application/container to emphasize the
>fact that it can represent something other than a URL hierarchy.  For the
>case where it's a document management system that stands behind the Web
>server, it may be desirable for the location parameter of a node in the
         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>SiteMap to be expressible as something other than a URL.

Could you elaborate on that claim?  URLs are not just filenames. They're
names for whatever you want to name.

Could you give an example of "the location parameter of a node" that's
not expressible as a URL.

Keep in mind that if you have any string S representation of "the
location parameter of a node", we can encode that string using %xx
syntax into S', make up a new URL scheme sch (if necessary), and write
the URL:

	sch:S'

If using URLs is (1) sufficient to express location parameters and (2)
necessary to exploit the infrastructure that understands them, then
I suggest that allowing anything besides URLs unnecessarily complicates
the design.

Dan