RE: Refering to versions

From: Yaron Goland <yarong@microsoft.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 1996 11:53:15 -0800
To: "'Dale Gass'" <dale@ra.isisnet.com>
Cc: "'w3c-dist-auth@w3.org'" <w3c-dist-auth@w3.org>
It is different because the French and English versions and semantically
equivalent. You should get the same information in the French and English
versions. This is similar to requesting a document in MSWord or PostScript
format. The information should be identical, they are semantically
equivalent, even though the syntax's are radically different. However
Version 1.2 and Version 1.3 of a document are semantically different. That
is, generally, the reason for having different version numbers, to indicate
semantic difference.
			Yaron
PS Yes, I know, you can also use versions to indicate syntactic difference
but that is picking nits.