Re: Refering to versions

From: Henrik Frystyk Nielsen <frystyk@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 1996 15:17:15 -0500
To: Yaron Goland <yarong@microsoft.com>, "'w3c-dist-auth@w3.org'" <w3c-dist-auth@w3.org>
At 11:52 AM 10/28/96 -0800, Yaron Goland wrote:
>I do not believe that URL kludge is the way to go. Rather we need a version
>header. Just as one can negotiate on language or content type, one will be
>able to use a version header to negotiate on version.

There is not reason not to version an opaque part of the URL just as is the
case with the media type, language etc. Anything else would make life
terrible for cache implementors. Note the "opaque" part - which should be
obvious. The server indicates where to find specific versions or a complete
history list using the "Link" header, for example

	Link: <ListOfMyPreviousVersions.html>; rel="history"

Henrik