Re: Possibly Naive Question -Reply

From: Larry Masinter <masinter@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 1996 15:59:57 PDT
To: srcarter@novell.com
CC: gramlich@bigbang.eng.sun.com, w3c-dist-auth@w3.org
I've been thinking about the exchange we've had about "distributed
editing vs reinventing file system protocol", and trying to extract
from it:

* Which requirements for distributed editing
  can NOT be met by a file system protocol?

* Are those requirements explicitly described in the "Requirements
  on HTTP for Distributed Editing" (an unfortunate title).

I think that most of the requirements are 'information hiding' rather
than 'capabilities' requirements (e.g., "clients need not be aware of
server's locking scheme in order to add a new version" is an
information hiding requirement.)

Larry