Re: Reading version of draft Functional requirements for basic versioning

At 10:36 AM 9/12/96, Paul Rayson wrote:
>David,
>
>I'm not sure if this has been discussed on the group before as I only joined
>last week, but do you think we need to add an awareness capability to the
>protocol? Specifically, I'm thinking of adding something into section 4 along
>the lines of:
>
>18. A way for a client to request identification of another client which
>has either requested exclusive access to a version of a resource (lock) or
>which
>has declared an intention to modify a resource (reserve).
>
>The idea is that in a colloborative environment one user would be able to
>see in
>some way who else was working on the same resource as him/herself.
I agree that this is critical, but would prefer to see it as a CM
requirement (where it has already been floated by Yaron and Chris in
slightly differing forms). This means we can get basic versioning
standardized befopre we start arguing about locking policies

>I also include the following spelling corrections as some of these won't be
>picked up by a spell checker:

Thanks a ton!

>That's all ...
>
>Paul.
>
>[]EMAIL: paul@comp.lancs.ac.uk [] Post: CSEG Research Centre,  []
>[]Phone: +44 1524 65201        []       Computing Department,  []
>[]       extension 3262        []       Lancaster University,  []
>[]Fax  : +44 1524 593608       []       Lancaster, LA1 4YR, UK.[]
>[]  WWW: http://www.comp.lancs.ac.uk/computing/users/paul/     []

David Durand                  dgd@cs.bu.edu | david@dynamicDiagrams.com
Boston University Computer Science          | Dynamic Diagrams
http://www.cs.bu.edu/students/grads/dgd/    | http://dynamicDiagrams.com/