RE: Initial Dist. Auth. Requirements

I think Larry's point is a good one. Containers should be supported as mime types which are then pointed to by URLs.
				Yaron

----------
From:  Larry Masinter[SMTP:masinter@parc.xerox.com]
Sent:  Friday, August 30, 1996 1:33 PM
To:  slein@wrc.xerox.com
Cc:  ejw@ics.uci.edu; w3c-dist-auth@w3.org
Subject:  Re: Initial Dist. Auth. Requirements

Right now, the read-only web doesn't support the notion of
containers; there are just some documents that contain more pointers
to other documents. I think the behavior of web/FTP proxy servers is a
good model for how the web currently treats directories.

To actually support containers, we might want to support the notion of
a new kind of object (not text/html) that is the actual 'container',
and then some operations for servers to generate unique names within
their name space.

I don't think it is right to translate containers to URL hierarchy
levels.

Larry