Re: Initial Dist. Auth. Requirements

From: Larry Masinter <masinter@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 1996 13:33:13 PDT
To: slein@wrc.xerox.com
CC: ejw@ics.uci.edu, w3c-dist-auth@w3.org
Right now, the read-only web doesn't support the notion of
containers; there are just some documents that contain more pointers
to other documents. I think the behavior of web/FTP proxy servers is a
good model for how the web currently treats directories.

To actually support containers, we might want to support the notion of
a new kind of object (not text/html) that is the actual 'container',
and then some operations for servers to generate unique names within
their name space.

I don't think it is right to translate containers to URL hierarchy
levels.

Larry