Re: math: URI scheme and protocol handler

Thank you, that video clarified.

The way the browsers are implemented, it is more seamless to launch an
external application with some data using a URL protocol rather than a
content-type.

http://www.chromeplugins.org/google/chrome-plugins/how-start-external-applications-9717.html

I have done this myself in the past.

I don't know what to say: the implementation defects of the browsers are at
odds with how web architecture is supposed to work. URL handlers are not
supposed to be application-launchers. They are supposed to describe the
actual protocol for downloading or manipulating data. Think of the mess
that will arise if every file format also needs a standardized URI format
as a way of working around browser behaviours.

If you do not worry about a formal standardization process at the W3C then
nobody will care that you are using URIs in this way.

The systemic fix is that HTML should have a way of stating that the target
file is designed to be "transient" and the user should not be harassed
about a filename for storage. If the user wants to save the data then they
could do a "Save As" from the viewer app.