Re: CFC, app: URI scheme

On Friday, November 1, 2013 at 8:58 PM, Mark Baker wrote:

> Marcos - I'm pretty sure we had this, or a very similar conversation
> back in the widget: or blob:(IIRC) scheme proposals. My position is
> that if it looks like http and works like http, that you should go out
> of your way to make it http (for all those "already deployed"
> reasons).
>
> It seems to me that the innovation in app: is the use of UUID in the
> authority component. I agree that this is valuable in some contexts,
> but wonder why that can't be used with a DNS name. So instead of;
>
> app://c13c6f30-ce25-11e0-9572-0800200c9a66/index.html
>
> why not this?
>
> http://c13c6f30-ce25-11e0-9572-0800200c9a66.localhost/index.html
That would have always been my preference too (I even argued the same thing for a long long time)! But it would mean packing a HTTP server into the runtime - instead of the fairly dumb thing that app:// is. Everyone that I’ve ever worked with on these kinds of engines hasn’t wanted to do that (or has found the whole thing problematic because it meant setting it a the system level, etc.). So yeah - it’s totally the right solution, imo also, but it’s just hasn’t happened at the implementation level :( Thus, I’m here again pushing for app:// (which is just widget: in disguise).

--
Marcos Caceres