Re: Uri Templates: Questions on draft-gregorio-uritemplate-06

From: Roy T. Fielding <fielding@gbiv.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2011 15:27:21 -0700
Cc: URI <uri@w3.org>
To: Robbie Gates <robbie@m8s.org>
On Sep 6, 2011, at 3:49 PM, Roy T. Fielding wrote:
> On Sep 5, 2011, at 12:54 AM, Robbie Gates wrote:
>> I don't understand why the expansions of ? and & include list= for
>> each entry when exploded. The description of the handling for the case
>> of an exploded list makes no mention of the use of the name, and there
>> is no separate section (as there is for the unexploded case). Also,
>> the table makes ; the same as ? and & for named, and yet their
>> handling appears different. The descriptions in 3.2.7 and 3.2.8 /
>> 3.2.9 are likewise similar. In short, i can't see why the examples
>> differ, given the rest of the document, i was expecting
>>
>>       {?list*}        ?red&green&blue
>>       {&list*}        &red&green&blue
>
> Hi Robbie,
>
> Yes, you are right -- that is a bug in the new algorithms that
> I added for draft 06.  I'll work on a fix.

Actually, after having tried a fix to the algorithm, I think it
would be more useful to have the result you expect above (and it
would simplify the algorithm).  That also would provide a means
to define value-only parameters in the query component, which has
been requested in a private discussion.

....Roy