URI scheme best practices

From: Bob Van Zant <bob@eventbrite.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2011 09:07:59 -0700
To: uri@w3.org
Hello everyone,
I've been reading through RFC 4395 and some of the mailing list
archives. We're working on iOS and Android apps that we'd like to have
be able to respond to URIs in the mail applications of each of those
devices. For example, if we generate a password reset email and send
it to the user and they click on that link in their mail application
we'd like that to fire up our app instead of the web browser.

I recognize that this is a fairly standard thing to do and in reading
through what must be a somewhat memorable thread (fb: URIs?
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/uri/2010Feb/0013.html) I see that
this has been beaten around a bit.

Based on the fb: URIs thread I get the feeling that people wish we
could register with iOS and Android to have our app handle URIs of the
form http://www.eventbrite.com/resetpassword. I'm pretty sure that
this is not possible?

Given that we don't think we can use http and given RFC 4395 we're
planning to use a scheme com-eventbrite-attendee: and generate URIs
like com-eventbrite-attendee:resetpassword?parameters&go&here

Is this the current best practice? Is the intent of 4395 that we
attempt registration of the scheme com-eventbrite-attendee:? I'm happy
to go through the process described in section 5 of 4395 but the
extremely tiny URI scheme registration list almost makes me think that
IANA doesn't want us in there.

Thanks,

Bob