Re: [urn] fragment identifiers

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2011 13:43:10 +0100
To: Juha Hakala <juha.hakala@helsinki.fi>
CC: "Martin J. Dürst" <duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp>, "uri@w3.org" <uri@w3.org>, urn@ietf.org
On 10.03.2011 13:28, Juha Hakala wrote:
> Persistent identifiers will be used for multiple purposes, and by the
> time we assign e.g. a URN to a resource, we have no idea which
> resolution services will be needed in the (distant) future. Lifetime of
> a PID may be centuries; applications and the functionality they offer
> will change many times during such a period. And eventually even the
> copyright protection of a document will expire ;-).

I think that statement in itself rules out use of fragment identifiers.
At least if you want to stay in sync with the URI spec (RFC 3986).

> Retrieving a representation is one the key resolution services supplied
> already. But there does not need to be a 1:1 relation between a URN (or
> any other persistent identifier) and the URI (URL/URLs) it maps to via a
> resolution service.

Even if there *was* a one-to-one mapping, the representation could still
vary based on request header fields (content negotiation), and also over
time.

Best regards, Julian