Re: Status of RFC 1738 -- 'ftp' URI scheme

John Cowan wrote:
> Charles Lindsey scripsit:
>
>> If the authority identifies a host (e.g. e domain name with a A record,
>> or some local name known from /etc/hosts)
>
> Well, Internet Explorer interprets file://foo/bar/baz as the UNC name
> \\foo\bar\baz, which strikes me as extremely sensible, and I wish every
> browser on Windows did it.   (Chrome does, Firefox doesn't.)

Try "file://///foo/bar/baz".  That works in Mozilla Seamonkey, so
it probably works in Mozilla Firefox.  (And it also works in IE.)

(Note how it works:  The empty authority indicates that the URI
refers to a local pathname (that is, a name that is interpreted by
the local system, even if the referred-to file itself isn't local).
Then then the URI path "///foo/bar/baz" represents that pathname
(the UNC pathname "\\foo\bar\baz").  (No, I don't recall exactly
how the three slashes turns into only two backslashes.))

Daniel