Re: Status of RFC 1738 -- 'ftp' URI scheme

On Thu, 06 Jan 2011 16:36:23 -0000, John Cowan <cowan@mercury.ccil.org>
wrote:

> Charles Lindsey scripsit:
>
>> If the authority identifies a host (e.g. e domain name with a A record,
>> or some local name known from /etc/hosts)
>
> Well, Internet Explorer interprets file://foo/bar/baz as the UNC name
> \\foo\bar\baz, which strikes me as extremely sensible, and I wish every
> browser on Windows did it.   (Chrome does, Firefox doesn't.)  Technically
> "foo" is not a hostname but the published name of an externally exposed
> portion of a file tree.

That looks like a typical microsoft non-standard invention. It is
certainly not in the spirit of the main URI standard, and it was not the
intention of RFC 1738. And how do you indicate that 'foo' really IS a host
name, as intended by 1738? It seems like an aberration we should not give
any official support to.

>> then the question is whether the open command in that host understands
>> "blah-blah-blah".
>
> No doubt, but how does one find out?  Lynx uses anonymous FTP if the
> hostname is not empty or "localhost"; is that conformant, given that
> anonymous FTP typically has its own root?

Well the file scheme is not supposed to be an alternative to the ftp
scheme. Given that 1738 was written with local networks in mind rather
than the global internet, then I think file:/host/filename... should
normally be seen as an invitation to mount that file from that host using
NFS.

Tel: +44 161 436 6131
   Web: http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~chl
Email: chl@clerew.man.ac.uk      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.