Re: Discussion of Blob URI Scheme for Binary Data Access | IETF

On 2011-08-11 00:20, Arun Ranganathan wrote:
> Greetings URI Listserv,
>
> Firstly, sincere apologies for the delay between responses about the
> matter of the File API and the Blob URI scheme.
>
> Secondly, many thanks for all the advice you've sent my way -- it's been
> *extremely* useful. I have updated the File API Editor's Draft:
>
> http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/FileAPI/#url
>
> and have informed my edits based on actionable feedback by Joseph A. P.
> Holsten [1], Julian Reschke (e.g. see email #[2], amongst others), and
> Graham Klyne (both in email# [3] and off list). My goal is to respond to
> concerns raised on this list before moving towards W3C's CR phase; where
> feasible, I've responded to your feedback with additional details,
> notably justification of choices made as well as some more formalism in
> the definition of things.

I see that there's now a discussion of URN:UUID:; that's good. I still
think the reasons for inventing a new scheme are unconvincing.

The problem of global uniqueness is still there; unless you have a
REQUIRED syntax for the opaque part, there is no way to guarantee global
uniqueness.

Best regards, Julian