Re: Discussion of Blob URI Scheme for Binary Data Access | IETF

Arun,

I think you should send the request for reviews on uri-review@ietf.org
list.  I'm cc'ing this message there.

Several comments.  As a global editorial.  You use the *scheme:*
notation, whereas the *'scheme'* or *scheme* notation is technically
clearer.  See RFC Erratum Report 2756
(http://www.rfc-editor.org/errata_search.php?rfc=6196&eid=2756).

Section 6.7.3:

> |blob = scheme ":" opaqueString [fragIdentifier]|

RFC 3986 specified that particular schemes' syntax should not define
fragment IDs (also see below).

Section 6.7.3.1:

> |hexDigit =
>           "0" / "1" / "2" / "3" / "4" / "5" / "6" / "7" / "8" / "9" /
>           "a" / "b" / "c" / "d" / "e" / "f" /
>           "A" / "B" / "C" / "D" / "E" / "F"|

This could be imported from RFC 5234 <HEXDIG>
(http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5234#appendix-B.1).

Ibid:

> UUID is one potential option available to user agents for use with
> Blob URIs as opaque strings, and their use is strongly encouraged.

What is the generic syntax for opaqueString, except one defined for
UUIDs?  I suppose it is RFC 3986 <path-rootless> here, but considering
36 chars min. you may define

> |opaqueString = 36*pchar|

where <pchar> are defined in RFC 3986.  I see there are some limitations
on allowed char range, so you may reflect this is the ABNF as well.

Section 6.7.4 isn't necessary.  You MUST NOT describe fragment ID in the
scheme's syntax, neither must you define it semantics.

You should be clear about the scheme's semantics, what does a particular
'blob' URI refer to and how it should be resolved.  Section 6.7.7 may
lead one to the conclusion that 'blob' URIs are connected with HTTP, but
I think clarifying this issue won't be unnecessary.

I see your document lacks IANA considerations, which would request
scheme's registration with IANA, as required by RFC 4395.

Thanks,
Mykyta Yevstifeyev