Re: backronym proposal: Universal Resource Linker

On Apr 18, 2010, at 4:44 PM, John A. Kunze wrote:
> The "it" I had in mind, for those non-mind-readers on the list, was
> people's tendency to become irrational when seeing the word Locator.
> And the proposal would definitely help reduce that risk.

No, it would just increase the tendency to become irrational for
those folks who don't happen to be using a URL for linking.

I think you all need to find a better hobby.  URI is a full
Internet Standard and the generic syntax spec isn't likely to
change in the next fifty or so years no matter what color you
want to paint this shed.  You would need a couple thousand
vendors to agree to such a change for it to even come close
to overcoming the consensus we spent fifteen years attaining
on the current name.

....Roy