RE: URI Template experience

From: Eran Hammer-Lahav <eran@hueniverse.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2009 14:48:42 -0700
To: "Roy T. Fielding" <fielding@gbiv.com>
CC: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>, Joe Gregorio <joe@bitworking.org>, URI <uri@w3.org>
I am working on two drafts (XRD in OASIS, draft-hammer-discovery in IETF) which make use of URI templates. Assuming this proposal will not be published as an RFC within 6 months, these drafts will need to define their own syntax. The current proposed syntax in XRD is extremely limited, and only includes simple variable substitution (no lists or arrays) and a single operator ('%') to require encoding of reserved characters.

Any reason why the reserved substitution operator is '+' and not '%' (as in percent-encoded)?

I want to explicitly design it to be a compatible subset of the work being proposed here to allow libraries written for this proposal to process the more limited XRD template syntax as well. The only thing I need to accomplish that is to make sure the encoding operator is the same (which right now means changing my proposal to use '+' instead of '%').

Any advice on how to deal with the different timelines for these specs?

EHL