Re: [hybi] ws: and wss: schemes

From: Martin J. Dürst <duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp>
Date: Tue, 08 Sep 2009 19:16:39 +0900
To: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
CC: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>, URI <uri@w3.org>, "hybi@ietf.org" <hybi@ietf.org>, "uri-review@ietf.org" <uri-review@ietf.org>, "public-i18n-core@w3.org" <public-i18n-core@w3.org>

On 2009/09/05 15:43, Julian Reschke wrote:
> Ian Hickson wrote:

>> I've read this, but as far as I can tell, "Always UTF-8" and "See IRI"
>> are both complete and accurate ways of addressing this.

Ian, you are famous for pointing out your low trust in implementors.
Given that, I'd tend to spend a few more words on this, to help them
along a bit better.

>> Since apparently neither of these options satisfies you, could you
>> state exactly what literal text would satisfy you?
>
> I already pointed you to RFC 5092 as relatively recent example, see
> <http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5092#section-8>.

A newer example (the RFC numbers are confusing, because RFC 5092 goes
back to RFC 2192) would be the XMPP IRI/URI spec, see
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4622.

Also, please note that there may be nothing like an "IRI only" scheme.
There is always the chance that in some strange context, a conversion to
ASCII (i.e. to URIs) happens.

Regards,   Martin.