Re: [Uri-review] ssh URI

From: Dan Brickley <danbri@danbri.org>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 09:44:04 +0200
To: David Booth <david@dbooth.org>
Cc: Kristof Zelechovski <giecrilj@stegny.2a.pl>, Steve Suehring <suehring@braingia.org>, uri-review@ietf.org, uri@w3.org
[snip]

David,

Can I suggest a new workflow for these ideas?

Instead of intervening when every new URI scheme proposal comes
through these lists, perhaps you could work to persuade the W3C TAG of
them instead? I think I understand where you're coming from, but the
approach is pretty alien to URIs as currently deployed, particularly
with regard to browser infrastructure, which at the moment is
universally keyed off of the scheme prefix and unlikely to change
rapidly due to the huge security implications.

There might be something in these ideas (though I remain generally
skeptical when it comes to protocols - such as ssh - rather than
content/object identifiers eg. doi, xri, ...). At the moment they're
being discussed in an ad hoc way whenever someone proposes a new
scheme. Could it be more efficient to propose and refine them through
the TAG, perhaps?

cheers,

Dan