Re: [Uri-review] ssh URI

From: Bob Aman <bob@sporkmonger.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 21:55:59 -0400
To: David Booth <david@dbooth.org>
Cc: Kristof Zelechovski <giecrilj@stegny.2a.pl>, uri-review@ietf.org, uri@w3.org
>> I have a problem with this in the general case because I don't think
>> there's currently a way for such a URI to be registered to a specific
>> application in any major browser.
>
> Take a look at greasemonkey:
> Greasemonkey is based on recognizing URI patterns and performing special
> functions when such patterns are recognized.

I'm familiar with greasemonkey.  Last I checked, greasemonkey didn't
launch applications so much as rewrite pages in place, and even if it
could, that's not even remotely user-friendly.  Beyond that, it's not
something that really applies outside of the Firefox ecosystem.  The
point isn't that it's not technically feasible, the point is that it's
a path that has way more technical and psychological hurdles to
overcome than getting a scheme registered with the IANA.

-Bob Aman