Re: URI for abstract concepts (domain, host, origin, site, etc.)

On Sat, Jun 27, 2009 at 9:07 PM, ashok
malhotra<ashok.malhotra@oracle.com> wrote:
> Hi Eran:
> Trying to understand your proposal.
> By 'abstract' do you mean URIs for which a representation cannot be
> retrieved?
> So, perhaps, a chair?
> My assumption was that for such resources you want to retrieve the metadata.

Quibble: In the case of a chair, you can't get metadata, since a chair
isn't data.
http://www.google.com/search?q=define:metadata

This is why it's nice that Eran calls the description resource a
"description resource" instead of a "metadata resource". LRDD is a
compatible alternative to linked-data 303 nose-following, one that
(like 303, as David Booth has pointed out) behaves uniformly without
caring whether the resource is "data"-like or not - it means you don't
have to ask or answer that question. I advocate using his terminology.

Perhaps an alternative to a new URI scheme for hosts would be loop
detection inside of LRDD? I think that's close to what you're saying.

-Jonathan