Re: URI for abstract concepts (domain, host, origin, site, etc.)

Eran Hammer-Lahav wrote:
[...]
> 1. Make a special case exception that when the subject is http://______/.well-known/host-meta, it is treated differently than any other URI in that it means the XRD is not about that URI (the host-meta document itself), but about the abstract host resource located at ______.
>
> 2. Define a new kind of URI that can be used for abstract entities such as "host" or "domain", but which is not an http URI because that will bring us right back to #1.
>
> I would like to ask for feedback on the idea of proposing a new URI scheme or a new URN namespace for this purpose, something like 'abstract'.
> It will look something like this (please focus on the idea, not the syntax of the examples):
>
> urn:abstract:domain:example.com
> urn:abstract:host:example.com:8080
> urn:abstract:origin:example.com:8080:http
>
> or
>
> abstract://example.com/domain
> abstract://example.com:8080/host
> abstract://example.com:8080:http/origin
>
> Any comments, feedback, or concerns would be greatly appreciated.

For domains, there's a proposed standard.
See:

Domain Name System Uniform Resource Identifiers (RFC 4501) Josefsson May
2006.
http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc4501.txt

According to that, the 1st would be:

   dns:example.com

I can't find any RFCs on hosts, origins, etc.

For abstract things in general, I like just
using dynamic lookup via http:
   http://anysite.you.can.publish.on/mydescription#host-site-whatever