Re: URI for abstract concepts (domain, host, origin, site, etc.)

Hello,

On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 9:57 PM, Eran Hammer-Lahav <eran@hueniverse.com>wrote:

> I would like to ask for feedback on the idea of proposing a new URI scheme
> or a new URN namespace for this purpose, something like 'abstract'.
> It will look something like this (please focus on the idea, not the syntax
> of the examples):
>
> urn:abstract:domain:example.com
> urn:abstract:host:example.com:8080
> urn:abstract:origin:example.com:8080:http

I think URN is not applicable for those URIs, because all those URIs
includes complete information for resource location, so you should use URLs
(but not http urls).

> or
>
> abstract://example.com/domain
> abstract://example.com:8080/host
> abstract://example.com:8080:http/origin
>
> Any comments, feedback, or concerns would be greatly appreciated.

"abstract" schema name is not a good idea, because level of such abstraction
is unclear. "abstract" is too abstract word
Better use "host" for listed purposed, like in example:

If wou wont to identify/locate domain <http://example.com/domain>s use *
host:example.com*
If wou wont to identify/locate service on port use *host:example.com:8080*
If wou wont to identify/locate exact http on port 8080 use *
http://example.com:8080*
If wou wont to identify/locate host by ip use *host:208.77.188.166
*
note that you can not use "://" if URL is not designed to locate resource
associated with path as in http

~Timur