Re: Registration timing of new URI schemes

From: Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 11:36:18 -0700
To: Eran Hammer-Lahav <eran@hueniverse.com>
Cc: "apps-discuss@ietf.org" <apps-discuss@ietf.org>, URI <uri@w3.org>
On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 11:31 AM, Eran Hammer-Lahav<eran@hueniverse.com> wrote:
> While working on a new protocol we (might have) identified a need for a new URI scheme. The problem is that the protocol and use cases are still in their early stage, and will require multiple iterations and experimentation to figure out. At the same time, this effort has failed over the past two years because of attempts to find the 'ideal' solution prior to real work experimentations. We are trying something different now by building a couple of live services offered by some large web players.

Well, one thing that has historically happened is that when you put in
the new-scheme request, a bunch of grumpy old Web-heads want to have
an argument as to whether you really need a new one, when there are
lots of other perfectly good ones out there and quite a bit of benefit
from re-use.

You might save some time and irritation by having that argument first,
and it might help you progress your thinking about the problem in
general.   -Tim