Re: tcp: URI scheme

From: Erik Wilde <dret@berkeley.edu>
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 10:04:10 -0700
To: noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com, URI <uri@w3.org>
CC: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>, uri-request@w3.org
hello noah.

noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com wrote:
> Question:  if we do have such a scheme, what is the resource that a
> tcp:xxxxx URI identifies?  I presume it's an endpoint on the network,
> typically an IP address and port, that supports TCP connections?

that would be my theory and my approach for defining such a scheme,
since there is little else to TCP other than the definition of an
endpoint. to me, that looks very similar to the tel: scheme, which also
just identifies an endpoint of an end-to-end connection service, with no
specification of the applications talking over that connection (other
than the payload type supported by that connection type), or which
application-level data is exchanged.

cheers,

dret.