Re: tcp: URI scheme

From: Erik Wilde <dret@berkeley.edu>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2009 11:04:03 -0700
To: URI <uri@w3.org>
CC: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
hello bjoern.

thanks for your email.

Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:
> * Erik Wilde wrote:
>> reading the discussion around the proposed ws: URI scheme made me
>> realize that there is no tcp: URI scheme. is that something the world
>> has missed so far?
> There are quite a number of applications that support something that
> looks like a 'tcp' scheme and at times they go on and call it that.
> It's just not standardized or registered.

would you mind giving a couple of examples and/or pointers? if there are
applications using such a "scheme", there actually might be value in
having a common convention of how to identify a TCP "resource". since
this stretches the concept of a "resource" a bit, i am wondering how
people think about such a URI scheme, but since mailto: and tel:
basically do the same (not identifying a "resource" in the sense of a
document, but more an endpoint of a communications protocol that
provides connectivity), it might be useful to be able to talk about TCP
endpoints using a URI such as tcp://www.example.com:80, if you want to
talk about the TCP level of things.

cheers,

erik wilde   tel:+1-510-6432253 - fax:+1-510-6425814
        dret@berkeley.edu  -  http://dret.net/netdret
        UC Berkeley - School of Information (ISchool)