tcp: URI scheme

From: Erik Wilde <dret@berkeley.edu>
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2009 22:40:58 -0700
To: URI <uri@w3.org>
hello.

reading the discussion around the proposed ws: URI scheme made me
realize that there is no tcp: URI scheme. is that something the world
has missed so far? if yes, and if there should be one, would we
consider tunneling it over http://tcp.example.com/ URIs to facilitate
fallback behavior? i don't have the answers (but of course some
opinions), but maybe if we consider how a TCP URI scheme would be
approached (if at all) and why we might find having one useful, we
might gain some insights into how to best deal with websockets. after
all, the very name of it is borrowed from the world of TCP.

cheers,

dret.