Re: [hybi] [Uri-review] ws: and wss: schemes

From: Jamie Lokier <jamie@shareable.org>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 03:19:26 +0100
To: Kristof Zelechovski <giecrilj@stegny.2a.pl>
Cc: 'David Booth' <david@dbooth.org>, 'Ian Hickson' <ian@hixie.ch>, uri-review@ietf.org, hybi@ietf.org, uri@w3.org
Kristof Zelechovski wrote:
>  1.  The document "Converting New URI Schemes or URN Sub-Schemes to HTTP"
> [1] specifically addresses the use case where the custom URL is presented to
> a casual user.
>

> Since there are no legitimate casual users of the Web
> Sockets protocol that is designed to be used by Web applications only,

I disagree.  ws:// URLs *will* be entered on web forms at some point,
you can count on it.

Someone will write a web form that says something like "Tell me the
address of a FOOCHAT server to begin your FOOCHAT session", expecting
a ws:// URL to be entered if WebSockets is the protocol to be used.

That's a legitimate use.

-- Jamie