Re: [Uri-review] ws: and wss: schemes

From: David Booth <david@dbooth.org>
Date: Sun, 09 Aug 2009 21:52:02 -0400
To: "Daniel R. Tobias" <dan@tobias.name>
Cc: uri-review@ietf.org, hybi@ietf.org, uri@w3.org
On Fri, 2009-08-07 at 21:30 -0400, Daniel R. Tobias wrote:
> On 7 Aug 2009 at 9:16, David Booth wrote:
> > Note that I am talking about the *scheme*, not the protocol.  In
> > essence, a URI prefix such as "http://wss.example/" can be defined that
> > would serve the same purpose as a "wss:" scheme: an agent that
> > recognizes this prefix will know to attempt the WSS protocol.
> It seems like a bad idea to me, to have to build special exceptions
> to how a user agent processes URIs, where the protocol specified in
> the URI isn't actually the one that is used, based on "magic strings"
> within other parts than the scheme.

I can't see that as a significant issue, as there is only a trivial
difference between dispatching based on the string prefix
"http://wss.example/" and the string prefix "wss:".  Both are simple,
constant strings and both are equally "magic": they cause agent to
attempt the WSS protocol.

David Booth, Ph.D.
Cleveland Clinic (contractor)

reflect those of Cleveland Clinic.