Re: URI Templates: done or dead?

From: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 06:42:10 +1000
Cc: "'URI'" <uri@w3.org>, "'Joe Gregorio'" <joe@bitworking.org>, "'David Orchard'" <orchard@pacificspirit.com>, "'Marc Hadley'" <Marc.Hadley@Sun.COM>, <fielding@gbiv.com>
To: Mike Schinkel <mikeschinkel@gmail.com>

Most of my use cases are for doing things like putting them into
headers and content so that people can build new/dynamic protocols for
machines with them. Making them more friendly for humans to read is a
side effect; what I'm interested in is making them easier/more
intuitive for humans to *mint*, because they'll usually be the ones
writing them (just as with HTML, although I think the collective crowd
of authors will be a bit more technical, but only a bit).

My observation is that for those protocol-building cases, it's usually
a light integration; someone needs to create a URI with a particular
piece of data in it, and they don't want to constrain its form, so
they need a template. They don't need list data or complex operators,
or if they do, they can specify some pre-processing.

I don't disagree that there may be a place for "whiteboardable"
templates, but it's a secondary use case for me.

Cheers,