Re: [rest-discuss] RE: [whatwg] Proposing URI Templates for WebForms 2.0

Subbu Allamaraju wrote:
> I see the use cases, but what is the server gaining with this
> flexibility? In other words, how many servers out there are going to
> benefit from this technique?

the question is more how many page authors will be able to reliably
develop forms against services/servers? i think mike's idea is pretty
good because it increases loose coupling between clients and servers.

on today's web, forms and services are more or less tightly coupled, and
they almost are developed as one thing. mike proposes an architecture
that introduces a more loose coupling, because a form is able to
interact with more services than before.

( mike, please correct me if i am wrong. )

> Not having templates in forms does not violate URI opacity since HTML
> forms do follow a well-defined and well-understood approach to construct
> a URI from form parameters.

yes, but if you have some service out there that expect certain URIs,
then currently it is not possible to build a form for that, unless the
service does expect form-encoded data. mike's proposal would allow forms
to interact with a much wider set of services.

cheers,

dret.