Re: [rest-discuss] Re: [whatwg] Proposing URI Templates for WebForms 2.0

From: Paul Prescod <paul@prescod.net>
Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2008 01:27:51 -0700
To: "Mark Nottingham" <mnot@mnot.net>
Cc: "Mike Schinkel" <mikeschinkel@gmail.com>, "Ian Hickson" <ian@hixie.ch>, "Jerome Louvel" <contact@noelios.com>, whatwg@lists.whatwg.org, URI <uri@w3.org>, "REST Discuss" <rest-discuss@yahoogroups.com>
On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 10:40 PM, Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net> wrote:

> I missed the second link, which does contain examples; apologies.
>

> If you can find cases where someone can reuse that template in an
> unintended way -- e.g., a search engine, a client doing automated
> things, a non-traditional browser, an intermediary -- I think it'd go
> a long way towards this. I can't think of any at the moment, but
> that's likely just evidence of my imagination's limits at this point
> in time.

The Mechanize family of libraries would presumably be able to take advantage
of them as they do current forms. With mechanize you can ask a headless
client library to "load a page", "fill out some fields in a form" and
"submit" and it infers what HTTP requests to make based on the form's
structure. It cannot do this if the form is based upon Javascript. So I'd
say that's a generalized argument against depending on Javascript for form
capabilities, orthogonal to the question of how rich forms' URI-building
capabilities need to be.

 Paul Prescod