Re: URIs in HTML5 and issues arising

From: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 22:50:25 +0300
Cc: Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com>, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>, uri@w3.org, HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>
To: "Michael(tm) Smith" <mike@w3.org>

On Jun 30, 2008, at 22:35, Michael(tm) Smith wrote:

> Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com>, 2008-06-30 12:21 -0700:

>> I have heard anecdotes of some Japanese portals transcoding various
>> things to Shift-JIS, but only at about third hand, and I've never
>> actually encountered this.  -Tim
>
> I can attest to it being the case that transcoding was done in the
> past for certain services within networks of some Japanese mobile
> operators, but I can't say I know whether it's still happening or
> not.

I'm suspecting it might not. I've heard the anecdotes, too, but I've
never seen an anecdote substantiated.

I've never heard about transcoding HTTP proxies (as opposed to origin
servers) being used today (as opposed to in the past) when connecting
to the real Web (as opposed to a mobile walled garden) using a full-
featured Web browser (as opposed to a mobile client that isn't
suitable for browsing the Web) in Japan from a person living in Japan.
(Likewise if you do s/Japan/Russia/.)

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi