Re: percent-encoding in tel URIs

From: Roy T. Fielding <fielding@gbiv.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 07:53:04 -0700
Cc: Frank Ellermann <hmdmhdfmhdjmzdtjmzdtzktdkztdjz@gmail.com>, uri@w3.org
To: Clive D.W.Feather <clive@demon.net>

On Jun 30, 2008, at 6:32 AM, Clive D.W. Feather wrote:
> Frank Ellermann said:
>>> "?" does *NOT* start a query, it is an uninterpreted character.
>> In the general syntax it starts a query, for URI schemes without
>> query "?" cannot be used as is before the fragment (if there is
>> a fragment).
>
> Apologies; I was reading 2396 and hadn't realized this had changed.

It did not change.

> In particular, this is a semantic change that isn't called out in 3986
> appendix D.

That's because there are no semantics associated with decomposed URIs.
They just get recomposed again.  The generic syntax has no effect
whatsoever on the individual scheme definitions aside from giving
them a single superset syntax for all identifiers and a common
syntax for relative references.  What the "query" part in a
composed URI means is defined by the scheme spec.

....Roy