Re: Error handling in URIs

From: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 09:52:23 +0300
Cc: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>, Charles Lindsey <chl@clerew.man.ac.uk>, Martin Duerst <duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp>, "Roy T. Fielding" <fielding@gbiv.com>, Frank Ellermann <hmdmhdfmhdjmzdtjmzdtzktdkztdjz@gmail.com>, URI <uri@w3.org>
To: John Cowan <cowan@ccil.org>

On Jun 25, 2008, at 23:46, John Cowan wrote:

> Ian Hickson scripsit:
>
>> I need a term to use in the HTML5 spec which means "a string used to
>> identify a resource", and which can then be defined to be valid if it
>> matches the conditions listed above. The term has to be one that
>> authors
>> would immediately recognise as being intended to be URI-like, yet
>> without
>> conflicting with existing definitions. If you disagree with the use
>> of the
>> term "URL" for this purpose, do you have any alternative suggestions?
>
> How about HTML Resource Identifier, or HRI?

I think we should call browser-compatible Web addresses "URLs",
because that's what people outside the IETF and W3C circles
colloquially call them and that's what's used in the CSS syntax
(url(...)). Minting yet another *RI abbreviation seems silly, when
through the years URL has stuck in common usage.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi