Re: Error handling in URIs

From: John Cowan <cowan@ccil.org>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 18:48:06 -0400
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Cc: Frank Ellermann <hmdmhdfmhdjmzdtjmzdtzktdkztdjz@gmail.com>, uri@w3.org

Ian Hickson scripsit:

> I agree entirely that this kind of error handling stuff shouldn't be in
> HTML5. The only times HTML5 defines error handling for things outside the
> "HTML" language itself is when the relevant specs don't define their own
> error handling, and the relevant groups refuse to do anything about it.

It's only "error handling" when seen against the abstract background of
RFC-3986-centricity.  Otherwise, it is the HTML5 extension of URIs:
how do HTML5 browsers convert arbitrary Unicode strings to URIs?
The answer is different from RFC 3987, but no worse.

--
Values of beeta will give rise to dom!          John Cowan
(5th/6th edition 'mv' said this if you tried    http://www.ccil.org/~cowan