Re: Error handling in URIs

From: John Cowan <cowan@ccil.org>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 18:48:06 -0400
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Cc: Frank Ellermann <hmdmhdfmhdjmzdtjmzdtzktdkztdjz@gmail.com>, uri@w3.org

Ian Hickson scripsit:

> I agree entirely that this kind of error handling stuff shouldn't be in
> HTML5. The only times HTML5 defines error handling for things outside the
> "HTML" language itself is when the relevant specs don't define their own
> error handling, and the relevant groups refuse to do anything about it.

It's only "error handling" when seen against the abstract background of
RFC-3986-centricity.  Otherwise, it is the HTML5 extension of URIs:
how do HTML5 browsers convert arbitrary Unicode strings to URIs?
The answer is different from RFC 3987, but no worse.

Values of beeta will give rise to dom!          John Cowan
(5th/6th edition 'mv' said this if you tried    http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
to rename '.' or '..' entries; see              cowan@ccil.org