Re: Error handling in URIs

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2008 21:32:50 +0200
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
CC: uri@w3.org

Ian Hickson wrote:
>> Could you please be more specific? Any URI is a IRI, so a query
>> component based on an encoding other than UTF-8 still is a legal IRI.
>
> The IRI spec would have the query component always encoded as UTF-8, as I
> understand it.

IRIs consist of Unicode characters. UTF-8 only enters the picture when
an IRI is converted to a URI.

If you start with a URI *or* IRI, and then append query parameters, you
always have the choice not to use non-ASCII characters, and to decide
yourself what character encoding to use before percent-escaping.

Sure, that's not pretty, but it yields both a legal URI and IRI.

Now, that being said, is there anything HTML5 could do so we can get
closer to a strict UTF-8 world in the future? Such as allowing servers
to serve document in an encoding != UTF-8, but still get query
parameters to be consistently encoded in UTF-8?

BR, Julian