Re: Error handling in URIs

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2008 17:41:45 +0200
To: tbray@textuality.com, "Julian Reschke" <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Cc: "John Cowan" <cowan@ccil.org>, "Ian Hickson" <ian@hixie.ch>, uri@w3.org

On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 17:29:04 +0200, Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com> wrote:
> Also, I'm not enthusiastic about writing standards unless
> there's an obvious pain point that needs to be addressed.  If the
> implementors are in general doing the right thing in a compatible way,
> is any further spec work required?

Yes. Otherwise future implementors have to reverse engineer today's
implementors in order to get the same behavior. Also, if some implementor
starts making changes this becomes painful for the other implementors as
then they have to reverse engineer it again, etc. This is pretty much what
happened with HTML.

As for your other question, I would expect user agents to use the same URL
processing everywhere, in which case this would apply to SVG, CSS, HTML,
XMLHttpRequest, and any other specification you can imagine browsers
implement that support "embedding" a URI somehow. (I only tested this for
HTML and XMLHttpRequest.)

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>