Re: Error handling in URIs

Anne van Kesteren wrote:
>> There is nothing that needs to be fixed in the URI spec.
>>
>> If other specs accept invalid URIs, then those specs also need to
>> define how to do that.
>
> So why do we get LEIRIs in iri-bis?

First of all, IRI != URI. URI is a full, stable standard. IRI currently
is a proposed standard.

I'm not convinced that a definition of LEIRIs *belongs* into the IRI
spec; it probably should be handled separately.

>>>  I think the problem is that currently no specification says how to
>>> construct a URI from a bunch of Unicode characters while taking into
>>> account that the path component always needs to be in UTF-8 and the
>>> query component in the document encoding.
>>
>> But again, that's not a problem with URI or IRI, right?
>
> I'm not quite sure what you mean with again. Also, the URI/IRI spec
> seems like the logical place to define this. I suppose that's the reason
> the IRI spec is being updated to handle LEIRIs.

The fact that HTML expects different character encodings for different
parts of an IRI is not a problem of IRI, but of HTML. It's HTML that
defines how HTML form parameters get encoded. I fail to see how either
URI or IRI can fix this -- it's outside their scope.

BR, Julian