Re: Error handling in URIs

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2008 15:41:54 +0200
To: "Julian Reschke" <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Cc: "Ian Hickson" <ian@hixie.ch>, uri@w3.org

On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 14:04:05 +0200, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
> Or that the definition needs to be moved into a standalone spec.

I guess I don't really see how that's different from fixing the URI spec.

>>> Could you please be more specific? Any URI is a IRI, so a query
>>> component based on an encoding other than UTF-8 still is a legal IRI.
>>  It's also transmitted as another encoding than UTF-8 (while the path
>> component _is_ transmitted as UTF-8).
> Yes. It's still a legal URI, thus a legal IRI.

I think the problem is that currently no specification says how to
construct a URI from a bunch of Unicode characters while taking into
account that the path component always needs to be in UTF-8 and the query
component in the document encoding.

Anne van Kesteren