Re: URIs for the standard output and input streams

From: Noah Slater <nslater@bytesexual.org>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 02:14:39 +0000
To: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Cc: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hpl.hp.com>, uri@w3.org

On Wed, Jan 16, 2008 at 01:45:00PM -0600, Dan Connolly wrote:
> How wide is the convention that /dev/stdin is stdin?
> Wide enough for the IETF to reserve file:/dev/stdin for standard input?

There is no reason why you couldn't use file:///dev/stdin on a system
that uses /dev/stdin or file:///foo/bar on a system that uses
/foo/bar. There is no reason for it to be reserved. As your
application is concerned, it's just a regular (albeit readonly) file.

Having said all of that, I'm not sure that STDIN is universally
implemented on the filesystem.

--
Noah Slater <http://bytesexual.org/>

"Creativity can be a social contribution, but only in so far as
society is free to use the results." - R. Stallman