Re: URIs for the standard output and input streams

From: Paul Prescod <paul@prescod.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 14:47:35 -0800
To: "James M Snell" <jasnell@gmail.com>
Cc: "Erik Wilde" <dret@berkeley.edu>, uri@w3.org

On Jan 15, 2008 1:45 PM, Paul Prescod <paul@prescod.net> wrote:
> As a practical note: if one asks one of today's XSLT to read stdin and
> output it to stdout, would you rather it complained: "I've never heard
> of the posix URI protocol scheme" or "http://purl.org/posix/stdin
> returned 404"?

To be clear: My preference is the protocol scheme error message
because the problem is not that data is missing on a Web server but
that an entirely different way of accessing resources is
unimplemented.

By the time the app attempted to access the remote server, it was
already in error.

 Paul Prescod