Re: URIs for the standard output and input streams

From: Noah Slater <nslater@bytesexual.org>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 11:38:38 +0000
To: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hpl.hp.com>
Cc: uri@w3.org

On Tue, Jan 15, 2008 at 11:31:27AM +0000, Jeremy Carroll wrote:
> win on the cost basis ... one might want to define the std scheme as
> extensible by future revision, so that if the future suggests, for example,
> the use of file descriptors in URIs we might later get

I disagree, there is no reason that I can see why you should invent a
new scheme for this when plain old HTTP will do.

> std:fd/23

This doesn't make much sense. File descriptors are never refered to
using the "std" prefix like STDIN/STDOUT/STDERR. "POSIX" would make
more sense in this context, and hence why not just publish an RDF
profile that covers all POSIXy resources and use the HTTP URIs
associated with that profile?

Noah Slater <http://bytesexual.org/>

"Creativity can be a social contribution, but only in so far as
society is free to use the results." - R. Stallman