Re: URIs for the standard output and input streams

From: Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2008 11:26:18 -0800
To: "Colin Paul Adams" <colin@colina.demon.co.uk>
Cc: uri@w3.org

On Jan 12, 2008 8:21 AM, Colin Paul Adams <colin@colina.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> In my XSLT 2.0 processor (Gestalt), I am using URIs to represent the
> standard output and input streams for consistency of addresssing
> (stdin: and stdout: respectively, with no other lexical forms - so no
> relative URIs).

Having a way to refer to these universally-well-known quantities seems
like a good idea on the face of it.  Surely this must have come up
before?

Although if you were going to do this you'd want stderr as well, and
you'd probably like to avoid creating three new URI schemes, so
something like std:in/std:out/std:err or maybe urn:std:in, etc. would
work well.
-Tim