Re: URI Templates and Acceptable Values

From: Joe Gregorio <joe@bitworking.org>
Date: Sun, 6 Apr 2008 15:30:31 -0400
To: "Wilfred Springer" <wilfredspringer@gmail.com>
Cc: "Ben Ramsey" <benramsey.lists@gmail.com>, URI <uri@w3.org>

On Sun, Apr 6, 2008 at 3:13 PM, Wilfred Springer
<wilfredspringer@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Ben,
>
> (Even though I have been subscribed to this list for ages, I haven't kept
> track of all of the discussions, so I can't help you directly.)
>
> I also started to wonder about this today. The grammar suggests that you can
> do something like this with all operators:
>
> {operator|arg|var=val,var=val,var=val}
>
> ... with val being the default value. Now the spec doesn't include any
> examples doing this.

>From section 4.4.1:

"""
 Example:

   foo := "fred"

   "{foo}"        -> "fred"
   "{bar=wilma}"  -> "wilma"
   "{baz}"        -> ""
"""

I should probably add some more to Section 4.5.

>  I started to wonder what it would be like for the list
> operator:
>
> {-list|&|nodes=...}
>
> The spec is inconclusive on how the default value should be represented. But
> since the list operator only accepts list type of variables, it must be a
> value.

>From Section 4.1:

"""
   Some variables may be supplied with default values.  The default
   value must come from ( unreserved / pct-encoded ).  Note that there
   is no notation for supplying default values to list variables.
"""

   -joe

--
Joe Gregorio http://bitworking.org