Re: URI templates and "back references" - a question

From: Marc Hadley <Marc.Hadley@Sun.COM>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 10:00:00 -0400
To: John Kemp <john@jkemp.net>
Cc: URI <uri@w3.org>

On Oct 22, 2007, at 11:45 AM, John Kemp wrote:
> I have written some simple C code to process and match URI templates
> against URIs. I'm using the "va_list" approach to create a C function
> that takes a URI template (as a string) and a variable-length list of
> string values to put into the template, creating a URI with all
> substitutions made.
> I can't tell from the specification whether this is a good idea ;)
I think there's a place for positional substitutions, the current JAX-
RS UriBuilder has support for both positional and named variables in
the build methods:

> But, for this usage, I don't really need named variables. I could
> certainly choose to use distinct variable names anyway, and
> essentially
> discard them during the substitution, but my usage seems a little
> similar to the idea of backreferences in regular expressions, and I
> was
> wondering whether it makes any sense to standardize a variable name
> for
> when the name is not important, or for a specific ordering of values?
Even if we allowed anonymous variables I'm not sure the specification
would be the right place to define default names. Seems to me like
that is something that a URI template library could do itself. What's
your use case for a default name ?

Marc Hadley <marc.hadley at sun.com>
CTO Office, Sun Microsystems.