Re: Mixing template variable vocabularies?

From: John Cowan <cowan@ccil.org>
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2007 14:41:40 -0400
To: Joe Gregorio <joe@bitworking.org>
Cc: James M Snell <jasnell@gmail.com>, Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>, URI <uri@w3.org>

Joe Gregorio scripsit:

> > > {,&|name,"http://example.com/location",age}
> > >
> > > Simple, and gives us some wriggle room down the road.
>
> -1
>
> It makes the parser way more complicated than it needs to be.
> Even if it didn't make the parser more complicated
> I don't believe "wriggle room down the road" is a compelling
> reason to add something to a specification.

I agree with Joe.  URIs are meant to have absolute meaning, which is
why they need to be absolute names, the same in every context.
Template variable names only make sense in the local context of
the template or set of templates which are evaluated against them.
Local names are plenty good enough.

For IRI templates, we could allow iunreserved characters in
the variable names, which would allow for internationalized identifiers.

--
What is the sound of Perl?  Is it not the       John Cowan
sound of a [Ww]all that people have stopped     cowan@ccil.org