Re: URI Templates - optional variables?

From: John Cowan <cowan@ccil.org>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 01:18:36 -0400
To: Joe Gregorio <joe@bitworking.org>
Cc: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>, "Roy T. Fielding" <fielding@gbiv.com>, URI <uri@w3.org>, Stefan Eissing <stefan.eissing@greenbytes.de>

Joe Gregorio scripsit:

> No, that was the point of my proposal, that if you look
> at the generic version:

> Only the value of 'arg' can put anything outside of 'unreserved'
> into the URI.

Specifically, anything but unreserved characters and UTF-8-encoded
and %-escaped characters.

Per contra, the <arg> part can only put URI-legal characters into
the final URI; if you want a URI-illegal character, you must
UTF-8-encode and %-escape it yourself.

> What I'm interested in is if there are URIs that can't be
> generated by this scheme. Roy's example of the radix
> sorted directories was one, and I think substring selection
> should be added based on that use case. Are there others, and
> where do we draw an 80/20 line?

I think the only way to find out is to keep brainstorming
use cases and see if your proposals can cope or need extension.

--
John Cowan    cowan@ccil.org    http://ccil.org/~cowan
Heckler: "Go on, Al, tell 'em all you know.  It won't take long."